For a Native New Mexican living in Texas, NOTHING is better than when Central Market
has its Hatch Chile Festival! I went yesterday with my friend Christina to pick up a bushel
of chile (woo hoo) and I could hardly contain myself. Now, you can get it roasted there, but I chose to do mine myself. I didn't want to share all the yummy smells of roasting chile with a bunch of people so I brought it home. I have many years of fond memories with my parents out on the back porch roasting chile on the barbeque grill, and slicing some off to pair with cheese and saltines (and later, when I was old enough, beer!) Now that I'm pregnant, I can't enjoy the beer part, but the sweet joy I get from eating that gorgeous green chile fills my heart with delight!
Labels: Food
2 Comments:
-
- Unknown said...
September 1, 2008 at 10:42 AMMmmm...green chile. That is one thing I just love about living in NM. I remember riding the bus to school and putting down the window just so I could inhale the scent on the drive home. I am impressed that you put up your own (I guess I shouldn't be though, since you are a domestic goddess). I have not attempted this since being married. I think I'm scared to try.- Ma'am and Dadgum said...
September 1, 2008 at 7:28 PMI'm mailing Ryan canned green chili tomorrow. If I tell him that real green chili is only an hour up the road, he might show up at your door. He's at Southwestern Assemblies of God University in Waxahachie, Texas. Looks delicious!





