Beautiful Starfish Girl,
What an exciting month it has been! You are just full of changes and wonder, and we never know what you are going to surprise us with next!
Its been a busy month. We wrapped up the school year last week and you and I said goodbye to some people we know and love. Mommy starts her new job in the fall and you will be going to a new daycare. It was hard to say goodbye to the people that I've worked with for so long, and it was hard to say goodbye to Ms. Rose Ann who has taken such good care of you all year. I know we will miss our friends immensely.
At your 9 month checkup we were a little bit worried because you hadn't rolled over yet and we were concerned that you hadn't tried to pull yourself up or put weight on your legs. As it turns out, we didn't need to worry--you were just waiting to do it until YOU were ready. That evening (5/11), you stood up on the table at Chili's (while holding onto Mommy) and the next day (5/12) you rolled from your tummy to your back! You have to do things in your own time and we are trying to just let you go with it. You have grown to 18lbs and .5 of an oz, and at the time of your checkup you were 28.5 inches long. Dr. P thinks you are going to be tall and skinny. Gee...I just don't know where you'd get that from!
The most AWESOME milestone this month though, was you said your first word! Mommy was trying to get some video of you to send to Honey and I caught your first "HI!" and your first wave on camera! You are getting really good at waving and you try to copy however the person you are waving at is waving. Sometimes its back and forth and sometimes up and down, but you are definitely waving. I've gotten a couple of "hi's" when I open the door to get you out of the car too. I love it!
You are making a lot of other noises and burbles too. You like to "sqeeeee" and make other squealing sounds at the top of your lungs. (You have definitely found your voice.) You have gone from making a grunting zombie noise when you want food to full on whining and carrying on when the food doesn't get to you fast enough (less charming, I have to say, than the growl.)
You love the wind and like air to be blown into your face. It makes you scrunch up your nose and then you smile. You also like it when Daddy tickles you. You will scrunch your face up and start laughing before he even brings his hand to your belly. It is a riot to watch!
No new teeth this month, though you can see swollen gums near the front where it looks like you might be trying to cut a molar. You have your pointer finger in your mouth a lot and you chew on everything. Despite the teething, you are still the smileyist baby on the planet. You just love to grin and be cheesy!
Your stranger anxiety has been quite strong lately, even towards people who you were normally very friendly with (Sorry Honey, Abuela and Nina. Its just a phase.) You will put the "death grip" on me and you snuggle your head into my shoulders to make it clear to me (and others) that you are not going to anyone but Mommy. I won't lie though, I love the extra cuddles but I don't like the fit you throw when I have to put you down or leave you with someone for a minute (like when I need to go to the restroom at the craft store and I left you with Nina.)
Your hair has gotten really long and Mommy got brave enough to give you piggies. You look absolutely adorable and I am kind of excited for your hair to get longer so that I can play with it. Though I wouldn't get too excited. I sometimes use a chip clip in my hair when I don't have a hair tie (yes, this is what you are related to.) :)
The most impressive thing I've seen you eat is a taco from Fuzzy's. You didn't just eat it. You OBLITERATED the taco. After it was gone and I thought you were finished, I found you sucking on a piece of cilantro that you hadn't quite swallowed about 5 minutes later. It was completely impressive and tacos should be afraid of you.
Now that you have figured out how to stand up, you like doing it and you like to bounce up and down like you are shaking your bootie. You aren't taking steps or scooting too much really, but you do okay standing against the couch and reaching for toys. Your physical dexterity is improving--not only with standing but also when you eat. You are getting more of the food directly in your mouth these days and you've even managed to get a sippy cup up to your mouth a time or two all by yourself! I can give you pretty much any food and you go for it. You LOVE fruit, hardboiled eggs, yogurt, meat, vinegary things (that's how I KNOW you are MY kid) and watch out if you are hungry! You can get quite loud and voice your desire for food. We often have to hand you a cracker or something to distract you while we fix the rest of your food otherwise the volume of your whining goes up significantly.
Your daddy discovered just how cute you and your brother could be when he put you in the tub together one night while Mommy was at Nina's house. The two of you had a blast splashing each other and you enjoyed stealing brother's trucks. The two of you can be quite adorable when you play together. Your big brother loves you--he will bring you his monster trucks to play with and that really is the highest form of love from a dude.
You wore your first tankini to the pool recently and looked absolutely adorable in it. But the water was so cold (from all the rain we've had) that you didn't really have much interest in getting in too much. Now that its summer though, we have lots of plans to do splashing at the pool and at the water park!
I am really looking forward to all the fun we will have this summer and all the snuggles I get to catch up on. Here are pictures of you from this month:
 |
| Chilling in the "fish room" at Dr. P's. |
 |
| Mommy trying to make you walk. |
 |
| Standing up on the table at Fuzzy's. |
 |
| The murdered taco... |
 |
| Cheesy grins for Mommy. |
 |
| Snuggle bug. |
 |
| Standing and stepping for Daddy. |
 |
| Working on our cup skills. |
 |
| Wiggling, and wiggling, and wiggling. |
 |
| Back up, Mom. I've got this. |
 |
| First piggies! |
 |
| Hanging with my bff's at Ms. Rose Ann's house. |
 |
| More cheesey grins. |
 |
| A renewed fascination with your tongue. |
 |
| A little determination goes a long way... |
 |
| Discussing your day with Daddy. |
 |
| Spending time at the pool in your new tankini. |
 |
| My beauty. |
 |
| Watch out. I'll be scooting next! |
 |
| Jammie Day! |
 |
| Marveling at Lily Dog. |
 |
| Last day with Ms. Rose Ann. |
 |
| Smiling at Nina. |
 |
| Wedging yourself next to me. |
 |
| Snuggles with your bubba. |
 |
| Stop it. My heart can't take the cuteness. |
 |
| I want Mommy and ONLY Mommy. |
 |
| Look at those lashes... |
 |
| Okay Papa! I'm reading to go fishing! |