Is 32 the "Downhill" year?


Soaked!

Cooked up all the extras to bring home! Yummy even after reheating!

The pic I tried to take...

The pic the nice couple offered to take of us...

Me sitting in a pod.

So, I have to say...my birthday was a bit strange this year. I turned 32 on Wednesday--not a major birthday but a milestone all the same. Got a cool cookbook from my hubby (and my mom had painted and re-vamped my guest bath while she was here for the baby's birth) along with a neat recipe scrapbooking kit, a ladybug frame and a cute ladybug thingy to stick in my plant.

Its been a few years since we went to Simply Fondue (my 30th birthday was the last time if memory serves me correct) so I told Jesse that was where I wanted to go. They closed the one in Lewisville, so we had to go down to Dallas. Long story short--we got a tad lost...Dallas is stupid and the streets are wonky but my wonderful hubby ended up finding a new path to the restaurant and we arrived about 7 minutes before our 6:00pm reservation. Now, the Simply Fondue location I had chosen faced Greenville Avenue--a busy street with limited to no parking out front. Their parking lot was in the back of the building and since it wasn't quite time to go in, we decided to hang out in the car for a few minutes. And that's when things got kinda interesting...

It started hailing. A lot. And raining. A lot. If you've never been trapped in your car by hail before it is quite an experience. These hailstones were not small--they could probably give you a concussion if you weren't covering your head and seeing as how we both value our brains and our sensitive noggins, we decided to wait it out in the car! The noise was quite loud--there were times when I thought for sure the windshield was going to break. There was hail that hit the top of the car whose sound rivaled that of a baseball cracking a ball across the field. The hail continued for a good 10 minutes so I called the restaurant from the car and told them that we were trapped in their parking lot until the weather cleared. They told us to come in the back entrance when it was safe, which we did, but got thoroughly soaked as the rain was coming down sideways and the umbrella wasn't big enough to cover both Jesse and I! So we sat with drenched backs for the meal, and slightly moist hair...

Before we headed back to pick up Lucas (who had been staying with some good friends of ours) we stopped at the site where Jesse spends most of his Wednesday nights playing Mech Warriors. I hadn't been there before and wanted to see what it was that he and his friends did every week. It ended up being a lot of fun and I even got my picture taken in a pod! I love being married to a geek. He finds cool things to introduce me to that I might not have discovered on my own.

As we headed back to get Lucas we were detoured by police because there was a gas leak on the street where the fire station was and they had it blocked off. Here's the bad news--our friends who had been watching Lucas all night live on the street where the fire station is. We couldn't get in to get him, and they couldn't get out to bring him to us. There is one way in and one way out of this neighborhood and they were not going to let us through...PANIC! It is not nice to separate a momma from her baby. There are only a few moments where you are okay and then you start to feel panicked and unable to breathe. The good news is, there is a large field and a small sidewalk that connected the neighborhood to the next street over (it actually connected to the back of an elementary school.) We ended up parking the car at the school and taking the good 100 yard hike over to the neighborhood where we were FINALLY able to pick up our boy. What an adventure!

Needless to say, I did have a nice birthday but I think maybe next year I'd wish for a slightly less eventful day...


3 Comments:

  1. Amy said...
    What a fun birthday. I think I would have hit the cop. That is so true that you do not get in the way of a baby and a Mama.
    Amy said...
    I hope you got my post.
    i cant decide said...
    That guy would have been in trouble with me too. Poor mama. So glad you found a way to get to your sweetness.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home