Readying the Nursery Part One: Prepping and Priming

Those of you who know me will not be surprised by this, but when I get a project or an idea in my head I'm like a dog with a bone...

Most people would chalk this phase up to "nesting instinct" or whatever label you want to apply to a pregnant woman's insane desire to make everything ready and happy and shiny for the new baby. Truth be told, I think I was born a "Nester." This phase is not anything new for me as I've always enjoyed organizing, rearranging and decorating in general. (Something I'm sure my mom passed to me through my umbilical cord when I was in the womb.)

I began looking for nursery ideas about a month ago, trying to figure out what I wanted to do with our "gender neutral" nursery. All week I've been obsessing over paint colors, room design, primers, brushes, rollers, etc. I even dream about it! I'm at a stage in my pregnancy where I'm feeling relatively more energetic so I try to take advantage of it when I can. The weekend we got back from NM I started clearing out the room and then last night I decided to take a step in the right direction and I went out to buy all the necessary accoutrement's for painting our former guestroom--now the baby's room.

The room is not large, a 10x10 but has served its purpose thus far and will continue to be a great place to bring our new baby home to. When we bought the house it was painted in this dreadful peachy-pink color and I knew eventually that color was going to have to go. When I started to remove the outlet covers I discovered that the walls had formerly been painted a lavender color, which tells me odds are this was a child's room previously. The former owners did a half-arsed job at painting the last time, failing to tape the baseboards or windows which left paint drips and specks all over the place, so needless to say I have my work cut out. I opted not to tape the baseboards while I was primering the room as I'm going to have to cover the gawd-awful peachy color on them and repaint the baseboards as well, so I only taped the windows, light switch and electrical outlets.

This morning's priming expedition took about 2.5 hours from start to finish--not a bad project to start a Saturday morning with. To make my job easier I had to take the door off. The cats and Lily were my audience most of the time but I didn't want them to come in the room so I blocked off the door and put the fireplace grate in front of the door.

The nursery colors I've chosen for the baby's room are a sort of sage/mossy green, white and black. I'm enjoying this project so far and feel quite energized and productive this morning!



After priming...

The hideous peachy-pink color

I even primed the closet doors!

You can see why in this pic...

No mocking please...prego painting woman!

4 Comments:

  1. The Murphys said...
    What a BLAST!! I love decorating! I am very excited to see more pictures when you start the next phase of the project : )
    Amy said...
    Looking good. I can not wait to see what is next for the room. I never did the nesting thing until after Alyce was born. We got her room ready but I never went in there and took things apart and put them back together like a 100 times like some women do.
    Amy said...
    When you put down that paint brush come by for your award. Yes you got one waiting for you at my site.
    Unknown said...
    I can completely commiserate on cleaning the walls, taping, priming and THEN actually getting to paint. It's a pain. But, it sounds ,like you are really enjoying yourself! One of our bathrooms was orginally that nasty shell pink color from the 60's I think - vile. I'm debating if my next painting project should be our bedroom & bath or the kitchen.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home