Extreme Dresser Makeover!

The "Before" picture
Letting the paint dry...
Bus driver, move that bus!

Lily approves of the work I've done...
The finished product (and its proud makeover momma)

Those who know me probably already know that I LOVE Extreme Home Makeover. Problem is that when I watch it, I start to get ideas...

Our friend Jen gave us a dresser for our baby room because we didn't have one and we were ever-so-grateful for her donation to our nursery, but there were a few problems with the dresser. A) It was the wrong color. B) One of the handles was missing. C) Through normal wear and tear it had become scratched and generally old-looking.

Since I'm currently at a standstill on the nursery (at least until I get the flooring done) I decided that I needed to do a project this weekend. Last night I took a trip to Home Depot and came home with a quart of paint, a canvas and 6 snazzy new pieces of brushed silver/nickel hardware for the dresser. I got up this morning and sanded, cleaned and prepped the dresser and in 2.5 hours had created a fabulous new piece of flair for the nursery!

The top dresser drawer originally had 3 handles across the top--the middle one was solely for decoration because the drawer is not divided inside, but the handles on the top drawer were 3/4 of an inch smaller than the ones on the lower two drawers. I couldn't find any that I liked in two different sizes so I opted to fill in the holes from the old handles and drilled new holes for the new ones. I am really pleased with my handiwork! Our nursery colors are sage green, white and black, and this addition will fit perfectly with the room.
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    Amy, that is totally awesome. It looks great! I'm very impressed. My mom made me my dresser too (made over from a second hand piece that is), before I was born. I still have it and I still love all time, love and effort she put in to it over 30 years ago. I bet your kiddo will love their dresser too.

    We bought two nightstands on our honeymoon and I've been meaning to get around to sanding them, painting them and putting in new pulls/hardware. I'm quite inspired now!
    Quiltldy said...
    Beautiful! Job well done!
    Amy said...
    Looking good...

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home